Global P2P network usage: what are the top file sharing countries in 2017?

June 22, 2017

 

 

The year is rapidly reaching its halfway point, which means its time for us to reanalyze file sharing activity on P2P networks around the world for movies, series, games, music or other files. For this new analysis, we looked at our data for file sharers registered in January until the end of May 2017 and sorted them by country.

 

According to our data, an average number of almost 28.68 million file sharers worldwide shared at least one file every day! Russia and China made the top spots, resuming their places from 2015. Brazil and India, the two remaining BRIC countries, were also found among the top 5 countries – joined by the United States.

 

 

 

 

RUSSIA RECLAIMS ITS TITLE AS HOST TO HIGHEST P2P ACTIVITY – BY A LONG SHOT


For four years in a row now, Russia has been the country where we’ve observed the most activity on P2P networks. Based on a daily average of nearly 4.17 million file sharers who have shared at least one file, Russia seems set to conquer the 2017 list as well. The file sharing dimension was even more stark once we compared it with the number of internet users in the country as whole. According to that ratio, 4.08% of all internet users in Russia  use P2P Networks. The daily averages for the rest of the BRICs barely scraped a full percentage point: China’s 3.03 million file sharers make up 0.42% of internet users, Brazil had 1.65 million for 1.19%, and India’s 1.50 million account for 0.32%. Of the top 5, the United States had the least number of daily average P2P users at 1.38 million, but still managed to capture third place for the percentage of P2P user’s among internet users overall, with 0.48%.

 

Not enough numbers for you yet? Compare the information above with how 2017’s top 5 countries performed during other time periods by checking past analysis, and see you can guess which were the top file sharing countries in 2015!

 

 

 

Download infographic

 

TORRENT CLIENT STATISTICS REVEAL UTORRENT AS THE MOST USED CLIENT, ALSO AMONG THE TOP FILE SHARING COUNTRIES 2017


Torrent client statistics reveal a diverse spread of clients through which users cast their data around the globe. To get an idea of file sharers’ preferred clients, we took a look at the usage distribution over the last seven days in May. If we’re talking about the whole world, the most-used client in the P2P file sharing arena was uTorrent with a share of over 65%. Other well-known clients worldwide file sharers often turn to were BitTorrent (6.72%) and uTorrent mac (3.56%).

 

Except for China, all of the other top file sharing countries mentioned above also indicated uTorrent as the most-used client. According to the torrent client statistics, for example, Brazil seems to be the most loyal to uTorrent, with slightly more than 80% of file sharers choosing that platform. File sharers in the United States are similarly inclined; 40% of them use uTorrent, although the other 60% are split between a comparatively large variety of options. Libtorrent, for example, claims a healthy market share with around 15% of file sharers. Chinese P2P users’ most popular client was Xunlei with a usage share of around 65%, followed by uTorrent with a comparably low share of 12%.

 

Did you know that file sharers differ in terms of the types of files they share? To find out more, check back here on June 27, 2017, when we’ll delve even deeper into these figures!

 


Source: TECXIPIO

Definition: The rankings are based on the number of unique file sharers: How many peers (file sharers) shared at least one file in the respective time period?

 

 

 

Share
Tweet
Share
Pin
Share
Like
Please reload

Share this article and follow our company pages for regular updates!

  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon

RELATED ARTICLES

Please reload

LOOKING FOR MORE FILE SHARING NEWS?

Are you interested in a certain topic? Haven't found what you are looking for?

Search and filter the TECXIPIO magazine or get inspired by our recent posts...

ALL CATEGORIES

Please reload

RECENT POSTS

Video Piracy – Are online video protection measures a lost cause?

October 9, 2018

1/10
Please reload

TAGS